Re: A question of selves

Victoria Yew (v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:38:44 +1000

Paul & Judy

Have you read Lakoff & Johnson's (1999) latest exposition on the theory of
self in "Philosophy in the flesh: The embodied mind and its challenge to
western thought".

At 04:15 PM 27/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>In a post some time back Judy wrote, "Can you say more about your concern
>about 'all those selves' that i had mentioned?" referring to my mention of
>the following statement from an earlier post:
>
>" I've been
>paying attention to similar questions in different literatures, which seem
>motivated in part by a concern for complexity and for parsing out different
>strata or time depths in sociocultural phenomena - like the distinction
>between the situated social self and the "cultural" or enduring self; or the
>autobiographical self, the discoursal self, the writing self...."
>
>I have been meaning to respond and take BB's multilogue decay rates to be
>descriptive not prescriptive so here is my concern.
>
>Actually I only have two questions. 1. Are these different selves
>constituted with respect to bound or unbound, contextualized or
>decontextualized audiences (no jokes please, I'm using set theoretic
>terminology). 2. Is the narrative self different in some qualitative way
>from any of the other "selves" or is it part of each? According to Bruner
>(in Cult Psych, p128) narrative is "linking of events over time" and hence
>inherent in all thought and thus, I presume, in all selves.
>
>These two questions suggest a third concerning communication between the
>different selves. Are there different narrative selves for each of the
>possible narratives (i.e., writing, discoursal, etc.) who need have no
>knowledge of each other--Jekyll and Hyde extreme? It seems that at least
>some "higher order narratives" would to be necessary to allow successful
>social functioning unless one takes an extreme social objectivist position .
>But then what is that self that knows itself in all of these particular
>selves? Spooky shades of Hegel in the season of the witch.
>
>Paul H. Dillon

Victoria Yew
Doctoral Candidate
School of Educational Psychology, Literacies & Learning
Faculty of Education (A35)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
Telephone : (02) 9351 6326/ International +61 2 9351 6326
Fax : (02) 9351 2606 / International +61 2 9351 2606
E-mail : v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au