Re: Play

Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:54:44 -0200

Nate,

I believe that is also necessary call attention to the specific role of
play in categorial thought development process, according to Vygotsky.
Through play, the objects loose their deterministic power (in relation
to children's actions)and the behaviour of children began to be directed
by their ideas.

Another thing I think it is important to be said is that, to Vygotsky,
play is not strictlly a simbolic action as believed Piaget. Instead of
referering to this kind of action as a "simbolic play", Vygotsky prefers
to use only the word "play" ('brinquedo' in Portuguese). To him, the use
of "pivots" by children were governed by the objects
appropriate/possible
use as a "double" of the thing to be "represented". This, for him, it is
not a symbolization stricto sensu - where everything can be everything.
(A pen or a pencil could not be used as a "horse" by a child who wants
to "ride a horse")