Re: question on class

Kathryn_Alexander who-is-at sfu.ca
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:20:36 -0800

Yes, please Judy, I echo Rosa's request for more on this distinction and
parsing of selves.

kathryn

>On 22 Oct 1999, Judy Diamondstone wrote:
>
>> I've been
>> paying attention to similar questions in different literatures, which seem
>> motivated in part by a concern for complexity and for parsing out different
>> strata or time depths in sociocultural phenomena - like the distinction
>> between the situated social self and the "cultural" or enduring self; or the
>> autobiographical self, the discoursal self, the writing self....
>
>Judy,
>
>Could you say something more about what you have been working on and the
>different "selves" you mention. I'm interested in the positioning of the
>self in discourse and the presentation or display of a "self" to an
>"other" (at the moment I'm working through Ricoeur's "Self as other" in
>this respect) but ultimately with the goal of getting at how that "other"
>is being perceived and constructed.
>
>Narratology and some of the French semioticians seem to be concerned with
>the "parsing out of these multiple strata" but their vocabulary is
>sometimes daunting unless you've been initiated.
>
>All my best, Rosa
>

>Rosa Graciela Montes
>Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Puebla (MEXICO)

"Science does not vanquish mystery" - Pilgrim at Tinker Creek Annie Dillard.

Kathryn Alexander, email ...... kalexand who-is-at sfu.ca
Doctoral Candidate, FAX .........(604) 291 - 3203
Faculty of Education, SFU(message).....(604) 291- 3395
Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6