Re: question on class

Rosa Graciela Montes (rmontes who-is-at mail.udlap.mx)
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 09:35:05 -0600 (CST)

On 22 Oct 1999, Judy Diamondstone wrote:

> I've been
> paying attention to similar questions in different literatures, which seem
> motivated in part by a concern for complexity and for parsing out different
> strata or time depths in sociocultural phenomena - like the distinction
> between the situated social self and the "cultural" or enduring self; or the
> autobiographical self, the discoursal self, the writing self....

Judy,

Could you say something more about what you have been working on and the
different "selves" you mention. I'm interested in the positioning of the
self in discourse and the presentation or display of a "self" to an
"other" (at the moment I'm working through Ricoeur's "Self as other" in
this respect) but ultimately with the goal of getting at how that "other"
is being perceived and constructed.

Narratology and some of the French semioticians seem to be concerned with
the "parsing out of these multiple strata" but their vocabulary is
sometimes daunting unless you've been initiated.

All my best, Rosa

Rosa Graciela Montes
Universidad Autonoma de Puebla, Puebla (MEXICO)