Re: question on class

Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias who-is-at ibm.net)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:19:54 -0200

Peter Farruggio,

I may thank you once more for had sent me copies of Elvira Lima's=20
articles on Vygotsky.
They were very helpfull to my dissertation.

I do not find yet nothing of Florestan Fernandez in english or=20
spanish available here, in Brazil.

There is a journal of University of S=E3o Paulo dedicated to him -=20
but written in Portuguese.

Peter Farruggio wrote:
>=20
> In marxist terms false consciousness means accepting one or another
> version of the bourgeois myths about the social contract (capitalist
> society is "just" or "rewards merit" or "is the best way" etc)
>=20
> >>especially since entering the middleclass domain
> > >of higher education. Is that subjectivity merely a false consciousn=
ess
>=20
> YES
>=20
> There have been many working class intellectuals throughout modern
> history (the age of capitalism), but not in academia. Working class
> consciousness is grounded in an understanding of the class struggle
> (the built in inequity of capitalism as a system), it's the essence
> of Marx & Engel's development of historical materialism. But it's
> easiest to see in political writings of real marxists, like Marx,
> Lenin, Trotsky, when they grapple with real issues. You won't find
> it very accessible in the more philosophical writings. Read some of
> their histories or polemics, but try to get annotated versions so you
> can follow the issues of the times.
>=20
> hope that helps
>=20
> Pete Farruggio
>=20
> >Nate, can you unpack for the illiterate/ignorant what makes consciousn=
ess
> >false (as if there were a 'true' state of consciousness)? I understand=
the
> >struggle over appropriating/not appropriating bourgeois tools; I can g=
et
> >worried about losing a desire to work against the institutional grain.=
But I