Re: question on class

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:06:01 -0500

> I'd really like to know what you are talking about. I think that some
form
> of class consciousness is necessarily internalized by everyone who lives
in
> a stratified society. Maybe the problem in the U.S. is the denial of
class
> as a fundamental component of the dominant ideologies and therefor if you
> bring it up you're thought to be aberrant. "Oh, Johnny has developed the
> very strange notion that he's a working class lad, quick send him to the
> shrink so he can be ADJUSTED, very well-ADJUSTED."

Paul,

First, I very much think class exists and it is very material. Second, for
me I don't see it simply as a struggle between the working class and the
capitalists, but also the middle class. If we are talking about terms like
Social Economic Status or "working class" (something that one is, not
something that one becomes) it is continually defined through middleclass
knowledges, beliefs, values etc through talk of what is normal, development
and the like. And as you point out this occurs because society (U.S.) is
assumed to be classless.

Maybe middleclass is not useful here, but to my way of thinking for a
system of capitalism to flourish it needs a middleclass and a working
class. In order to have a middle class one need a class to exploit and
therefore control through low wages and other means. The rise of
prosperity and our so called 0 unemployment has deep consequences in both
the states and "third world" countries. I don't see how putting the
contradiction -tension solely with the capitalists is useful.

I agree with you about class consciousness being developed by everyone. I
tend to see classes emerging with capitalism not their consciousness being
directly molded by capitalism or the capitalist. As Gordon mentioned with
language it gets a little more complicated although economics is never
absent. There is an interclass relationship that is always present from
models of development on one hand to the the middle class's fear of the
working class or poor that is seen in the whole crime issue. While I
suppose we can situate this somehow in a determining factor such as the
relationship of the working-class with the capitalist, their seems to a lot
of other factors involved.

I in no way want to negate a class analysis, but I do think it should be
more materially situated in their lives. The only one I see doing this at
the moment is Walkerdine.

Nate