RE: beeeeutifully said, Genevieve, Mike, & Peter

Chris Francovich (cfran who-is-at micron.net)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:45:05 -0600

I think that to the extent we jettison levels and stages we jettison the
complex of historical and embedded structures that support the status quo.
No doubt it is for this reason that people that decry stages and levels from
within the system of stages and levels (e.g., academia) are seen as threats.
It seems obvious that hierarchies, heterarchies, nested levels, networks,
and complex systems are all related - all part of biology and space/time. I
think the question is the 'best way' of organization. The 'best' in this
case seems to be the most adaptive or the way that lasts longest or
whatever. Sustainable in any case.

I think it is one of education's most fundamental contradictions that we do
so much to prepare people for so little. The strait jacket of race, class,
IQ, and gender forever limit our access and our freedom - and on top of that
we are faced with a shrinking base of resources: arable land, water, fuels,
etc.

Personally I agree that we (as a culture) are way to concerned with the lock
step assimilation of programmed knowledge (including arithmetic and
dissertations) but I can see no alternative but to make small personal
efforts at unhooking from the blind machine.

Chris Francovich