Re: Fwd: Re(2): Personal mails, practice and identity in XMCA

Victoria Yew (v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:04:09 +1000

Hello everyone,

Bill B. wrote, "Oooh, ouch, Phillip. I thought you were mocking a genre of
academic communications that a whole lot of us drop into for various
reasons. Wow, this medium sure is full of pitfalls."

And I kinda of share similar sentiments. No, Phillip, you're not lost in
La-la land. Perhaps, we're trapped with work (I know I am), or just still
pondering ... mulling ...
And thanks folks for your response to my request for help with references.
I'm still on that "witch hunt" (which I think is turning out fruitful), and
when I stumble on more stuff, I'll also let you know. : )

Cheers
Victoria

PS: Is anyone heading to the III Conference for Sociocultural Research in
Sao Paulo, 2000.

At 10:16 AM 21/09/99 -0600, you wrote:
> howdy, folks - i sent this out, but it seems to have gotten lost in
>lala-land.
>
> so, a second try.
>

>Eva wrote:
>>

>>So self-disclosure in the form of personal narrative usually contributes
>>both to community building and to multilogue. This is something I'll be
>>trying to weave into the next phase of my writing. It is also a part of
>>XMCA culture that deserves being made explicit now and then... so thanks
>>Victoria and Judy for the reminder.
>
> and i want to add a bit to this - especially beginning with thanks to
>Paul and Bill B. and Bill P. for their responses to my last postings from
>last weekend. as it turns out, this year i'm teaching third grade, which
>means lots of intensive specific instruction so that the students can pass
>the state reading assessment - which is no small task for the students.
>and so i find that during the week i have very little time to compose my
>thoughts and write something coherent.
>
> however, thinking about xmca as community as Eva had earlier written
>about this week - i considered again my sense of indignation - i think
>it showed - about the postings regarding Mary Daly - because my
>assumption had been that xmca was a friendly place for feminism and
>gay/lesbian and ethnic/racial issues and questions about diversity - so
>that i expected that even if one would disagree with Daly's position, one
>would also demonstrate feelings of support and sympathy.
>
> that didn't happened, and a felt a sudden loss of community - as well
>as a sense of betrayal - there we are, Vera, with that pesky affective
>domaine again.
>
> so i behaved badly - mockingly towards Paul (and I apologize) - and was
>also rebuked. but there we are.
>
> so, as Mike mentioned earlier about the posting about the woodstalk (pun
>intended) debacle, there are multiple reasons for anger on occasion.
>
> still - i'm also wanting to respond to Bill Baroway's question - what
>are community members doing with chat.
>
> for the last year and one half i've been working on my own practice as a
>teacher, focusing on the question, what do my third grade students needs
>in terms of cultural capital in order to pass the colorado reading
>assessment? especially i'm focusing on tool use as Wertsch writes about
>in Mind in Action - and the question of prolepsis as described by Mike in
>Cultural Psychology. for my students too, reflecting on Jaan Valsiner's
>notion of the student participating in her own development
>(learning/change) with the anticipation of a different future condition.
>this work is still on-going - and in fascinating because my students are
>in part learning english, as well as predominantly of low economic ses -
>and i'm becoming very interested in how working class folk understand risk
>taking and change.
>
> also, i'm doing an autoethnography to understand my own adult development
> [...]
Victoria Yew
Doctoral Candidate
School of Educational Psychology, Literacies & Learning
Faculty of Education (A35)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
Telephone : (02) 9351 6326/ International +61 2 9351 6326
Fax : (02) 9351 2606 / International +61 2 9351 2606
E-mail : v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au