Re: Identity & Language

Victoria Yew (v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:39:05 +1000

Hi Genevieve

Thanks heaps for the references.

And I think the notion that "human interactions
always realize multiple functions, among them the communication &
(re)production of identities through ... association of specific
language features ... Human beings are masters at
adjusting their language choices to display different identities,
though of course repertoires have to be developed with time and
practice, and critically, with access to target language practices &
routines." articulates very clearly the significance of the role of language
not only as a tool for enabling communication, and thus one's participation
in a "human"/sociocultural environment", but is in turn manipulated by
individuals for different purposes. Amongst them is the role of establishing
one's identity.

Regard, Victoria

At 07:12 PM 20/09/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello Victoria,
>
>Check out Elinor Ochs' 1992 article, 'Indexing gender,' in A. Duranti &
>C. Goodwin, _Rethinking Context: Language as an interactive
>phenomenon_, New York, Cambridge. (I recommend the rest of that
>volume, while we're at it!) In that article, Ochs develops links
>between gender, socialization, language, status, through the construct
>of constitutive indexicality. Fairclough and other critical discourse
>analysts use that same construct. In a nutshell, human interactions
>always realize multiple functions, among them the communication &
>(re)production of identities through the association of specific
>language features with roles & routines. Human beings are masters at
>adjusting their language choices to display different identities,
>though of course repertoires have to be developed with time and
>practice, and critically, with access to target language practices &
>routines.
>
>A couple more recommendations: Deborah Poole, 1992, 'Language
>socialization in the second language classroom.' _Language Learning._
>42, 593-616.
>
>Deborah Poole, 1994, 'Differentiation as an interactional consequence
>of routine classroom testing.' _Intl Journal of Qualitative Studies in
>Education_, 7(1), 1-17.
>
>Margerie Orellana has worked on the interplay between language, gender,
>choice, classroom rituals, literacy ... but I don't have the relevant
>(Reading Research Quarterly???) reference. Sorry!
>
>regards, Genevieve

Victoria Yew
Doctoral Candidate
School of Educational Psychology, Literacies & Learning
Faculty of Education (A35)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA
Telephone : (02) 9351 6326/ International +61 2 9351 6326
Fax : (02) 9351 2606 / International +61 2 9351 2606
E-mail : v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au