Re: levels of context

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:27:16 +0200

How time flies, servers go down, anxiety strikes, etc!

I really should know better, Luiz, than to rave about a philosopher I have
only received filtered through somebody else -- even if this somebody is a
friend who has been both talking and writing as an experienced reader of
Levinas for years.

I still have not done my homework on Levinas -- although to me what you
added to my feeble response to Genevieve's quote from Giddens sounds a lot
more like what I wanted to say...

At 11.56 -0500 99-09-02, Luiz Ernesto Merkle wrote:
>> This does not exclude history (in Levinas either) but it does keep the
>> future open (in the theoretical sense).
>
> In fact, it does not exclude, it requires history.
> It also keep the future open, but we are responsible for it.

=2E.. about the requirement of history and our responsibility for the future=
=2E
What Levinas is about as a philosopher is to place ethics as the FIRST
philosophy, the one which then DEMANDS ontology and epistemology.

Sorry for not being explicit about who I was responding to in different
parts of my message -- and as for your typo: I already read it as it should
have been as "acultural" didn't make sense to me, while a stuttering of the
little finger on the "a"-key happens easily.

Best wishes
Eva