Re: levels of context

Luiz Ernesto Merkle (lmerkle who-is-at julian.uwo.ca)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:56:20 -0500

Eva,
OOPS, There is a typo there. Sorry; it partially inverts the meaning,
Where you read:

"the whole and the MISSING part", which pictures a acultural
ecosystem as always in struggle, always in transformation.
^
I should have written:
"the whole and the MISSING part", which pictures a CULTURAL

you wrote:

> This does not exclude history (in Levinas either) but it does keep the
> future open (in the theoretical sense).

In fact, it does not exclude, it requires history.
It also keep the future open, but we are responsible for it.

I would say that the "whole and the part" and the "whole and the
missing part" are abstract models that delimit a state space in which
a particular system struggle to maintain its organization through a
constant maintenance of its structure through interactions with the
field in which it exists. Some jargon needs explanation. (A 'state
space' is is like the interlacing of many voices: they can be
understood as noise (some parties) or as a order (some choirs), but
most of the time they are in between. In addition, there is always the
obnoxious that dominates the conversation , sometimes with the
complicity or admiration of the others.)

In this sense, the system is open. We need resources form the
environment we exist. Its current organization is bound to its
historical trajectory, and its future bound to the same trajectory
plus the contingencies of the field in which it exists. It must be
clear by now that I'm using a metaphor of dissipative systems (Chaos
Theory) in my understanding.

Can you tell me more about Levinas?

Luiz