Re(2): xmca discussions

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:27:01 -0600

my last posting "lost" the quote i was responding to, i hope that does
not happen here. i am including a bit from eva and a bit from mike and
would like to suggest another direction for the discussion (one person's
tangent is another's direct line of connection).

Eva writes:
>The gender aspect of the thread makes me associate -- wildly -- to the
>XMCA
>mailflow statistics I have completed for the first half of -99 (you've
>seen
>it, Mike), and where the participation of women is at the lowest since the
>list got its current name and form:

and Mike wrote:
My own preference, as you have noted, is to enter discussions
either of matters pertaining to the explicit purpose of the list--
to study the relationships between mind, culture, and activity as
an academic undertaking (my own personal focus is on developent, so
that is what I am most likely to discuss) or on the conduct of the
discourse itself (since I value the learning it affords).
This does not mean that I have no opinions concerning important
social issues of the day. But it does mean that I distrust this medium
as way to gain enlightment on them.

it might be more beneficial to look at how we (the participants, in
whatever form, of xmca) are shaping the activity of this list discussion.
i have picked up some good ideas and new information from this discussion,
but it hasn't ever fallen into a form that felt comfortable to me as a
participant. every posting was an effort and immediately followed by
regrets of all shapes and sizes.

i think i am making that effort as an attempt to learn to "do" list group
discussions. (i was going to write "to 'do' list group discussions better"
but i am not sure that imitating the dominant style of discourse is
better. but i am trying to figure that out for myself.)

i would be willing to discuss the patterns of interaction and possible
explanations (or descriptions of what other people see happening) but not
unless it is of interest to others who are willing to honor the different
experiences of the many partipants.

there is some risk involved, but perhaps we could be enlightened on the
process of communicating (or learning or being) with this particular xmca
medium.

kathie

start all over.
start all over.
we need to make new symbols,
make new signs,
make a new language,
with these we'll redefine the world
and start all over.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^tracy chapman:new beginning
Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ceo.cudenver.edu/~katherine_goff/index.html