Re(2): xmca discussions

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:07:16 -0600

paul writes:
>I also think xmca is a good place to fully examine the concrete historical
>role of the ultra-relativist epistemology succinctly stated by Kathie as:
>"each of us creates, negotiates, expresses a unique reality" and how it
>conditions post-modern and feminist discourse. To my understanding, this
>individual relativism is absolutely opposed to the fundamental principles
>of
>cultural historical activity theory as found in Vygotsky, Luria, Engstrom,
>and others. This relativism contains a partial truth but is incorrect
>precisely because it is no more than partial

this is really a challenge for me, i had never perceived constructivism as
in opposition to CHAT.
i don't understand how partial truth (or perspective) becomes incorrect
(which seems to mean wrong, or false, in this context.)
please explain further.

also, how can there be other than partial truths?
i think less partial truths might be created through a multi-vocal
process, but even that seems more of a desire than a fact.
the unique perspective i hold on reality is undeniable influenced by both
my personal history and the social and cultural settings in which i engage
with others in activities. the partiality of my version of reality
necessarily emerges out of the complexity of the cultural, historical,
social, psychological, etc. systems that i live in. my understanding, my
learning/knowing self is distrubuted across many systems, and levels of
systems. i would have to be able to "see" myself think in order to locate
my blind spots. for that, i rely on others.

kathie

start all over.
start all over.
we need to make new symbols,
make new signs,
make a new language,
with these we'll redefine the world
and start all over.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^tracy chapman:new beginning
Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ceo.cudenver.edu/~katherine_goff/index.html