Re: academic freedom & double think

Paul Dillon (dillonph who-is-at northcoast.com)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:21:11 -0700

Judy Diamondstone wrote:

>Blake, precursor to Freud, would have had something to say on this matter.
>
>Following Blake, I say, since we're endowed w/ "binocular" vision -- we can
>make meaning in more than one way -- maybe we can't make sense in a way
that
>makes sense unless we use it. Monocular vision skews us towards the
excesses
>of Urizen (Blake's old bearded fart in the clouds who lays down the law --
>most familiarly depicted w/ a compass)
>
> Pronounce his name slow-ly...

Dogen, pronounce his name So-toe, would certainly have appreciated William
Blake, even if the latter weren't a Muggletonian, as E.P. Thompson seems to
imply. They both had a keen sense for woofing out hypocrisy as in the
following by bard whose wife once gave him an empty plate for dinner since
he had spent none of his time making a living, but only art (certainly one
not to be concerned with such issues as tenure):

"Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you."

But Dogen, practicing His-own-zen, was compassionate when repeating the
following advice:

"Not to commit wrongs,
To practice the many kinds of right
Naturally purifies the mind;
This is the teaching of the buddhas."

- Shobogenzo (10) Shoaku-makusa

Cheers,

Paul H. Dillon

p.s.

I pronounce Urizen, Newton, or define him as the outward or bound
circumference or Energy.