Re: academic freedom & double think

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
4 Aug 1999 19:02:37 -0000

Blake, precursor to Freud, would have had something to say on this matter.

Following Blake, I say, since we're endowed w/ "binocular" vision -- we can
make meaning in more than one way -- maybe we can't make sense in a way that
makes sense unless we use it. Monocular vision skews us towards the excesses
of Urizen (Blake's old bearded fart in the clouds who lays down the law --
most familiarly depicted w/ a compass)

Pronounce his name slow-ly...

At 10:15 AM 8/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dr. Mary Bryson's message implied that the BC action occurred in an
>"anti-affirmative action" climate, that BC seized upon this climate to carry
>out pest control. I'm confused. Mary Daly was engaged in an
>anti-affirmative action teaching practice by definition and law. The only
>difference being that the persons being discriminated against in this case
>happened to be male and not the other way around. But the definition
>doesn't specify equal access for females or any other particular group; to
>the contrary, it specifies that no particular group shall be the basis for
>exclusion.
>
>The law specifically doesn't protect the rights of any -ism but rather
>groups of individuals defined on the basis of a variety of cultural and
>genetic properties.
>
>Isn't the logic of claiming that BC's action partakes of (an by inference
>thereby is a part of) an anti-affirmative action climate a prime example of
>what George Orwell termed "double-think"?
>
>Paul H. Dillon

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm Blake