Re: FW: "Daly De-Tenured"

Paul Dillon (dillonph who-is-at northcoast.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:23:01 -0700

Nate, Jennifer,

I am still unclear as to the particulars. Did Mary Daly refuse to
desegregate her class and therebe put the administration in the position of
having to fire her or risk not only an individual liability suit but also
loss of federal funds? (call it de-tenure or whatever-- from the original
message it isn't that clear what happened). Did she simply resign in
protest because she wouldn't follow the law concerning segregation on the
basis of gender thereby putting at risk the entire university? The original
message at least implies that the latter happened since it states that this
is what the university is saying. Losing federal funds would be a lot more
than just a "sticky situation" for any educational institution in the land
insofar as it doesn't just threaten faculty grants and institutional grants,
but also financial aid programs; in short a very large percentage of the
institution's operating budget.

In any event, tenure is not the issue here. What is at issue are the limits
of academic freedom. Does academic freedom include the right to organize
classes or teach material that are in violation of the law and jeopardize
the institution that employs the individual who insists upon doing their own
thing? Thoreau recognized that civil disobedience required that the
individual following his or her conscience and breaking the law also accept
the punishment that the society metes out, as did Socrates, and the moral
authority of the position followed from that acceptance. Thoreau didn't
whine about going to jail, Ghandi didn't whine about being beaten, they
accepted that the immorality of the jailers and the beaters would be
revealed in this way.

Here, however, I don't think we have the issue of an immoral administration
rather one that is protecting itself from law suit and possible loss of
federal funds. Is this supposed claim to academic freedom sufficient
grounds to allow the possible loss of institutional viability.

The limits of academic freedom are the only possible issue here; tenure
isn't the question. People lose tenure all the time for a variety of
activities that happen inside and outside the classroom and lecture hall The
question here is whether any instructor has the right to teach segregated
classes. From the responses, it seems that most people don't think so. If
the tendency for male discourse patterns to dominate in mixed settings is
the problem, the solution is to devise ways to ensure that this doesn't
happen. I would think that is a more important goal in any event.

Why not write a letter to Daly asking her to reconsider her decision not to
allow males in the classroom and to try harder to work on a solution to the
dominance of male discourse patterns in the mixed setting? Is it the case
that men can't learn the rules of female discourse patterns? How many would
deny the opposite possibility? After all, they don't let people into the
orchestra who don't know all the scales.

Paul H. Dillon