Re: newnewwholemath

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:53:24 -0500

Education Week has an article on the videography research of Stigler and
Hiebert. Maybe not surprisingly out of 83 U.S classrooms only 2 had any
resembelence to NCTM standards (mathmatical concepts over drill and skill).
In contrast, teachers in Germany and Japan develop concepts over the lesson
wheras the U.S classrooms merely stated the concepts.

What I find interesting in how things like "problem solving" or "concept
developement" are seen differently in the three countries. In Japan and
Germany which were more consistant with NCTM standards, they were between
interactionist to teacher centered approaches to math education. Wheras, in
the U.S. the emphasis on "problem solving" and "concept development" appear
to be seen more along the lines of "constructivism" and "discovery
learning".

One interesting tidbit with Japan that relates somewhat the Vygotsky's ZPD
was students leaving a lesson confused was seen as a positive thing. In
contrast to the U.S. where a teacher would trace back and make sure
everyone was on the same page. The rationale was for the students to do a
certain amount of cognitive reorganization in order to understand or make
meaning out of the lesson.

http://www.edweek.org/tm/vol-10/08candid.h10

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/~nschmolze/
schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu

People with great passions, people who accomplish great deeds,
People who possess strong feelings even people with great minds
and a strong personality, rarely come out of good little boys and girls
L.S. Vygotsky