Re: newnewwholemath

Victoria Yew (v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au)
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 12:01:05 +1000

--------------888BB5BC368DC890346AED5C

Dear Mike and Don

First of all, I'll have to take a look at the web pages which Linda
suggested.
However, just a quick response, the model society which mike refers to does
not just promote physical canning, but other forms of mediating the same
punishment.
So, is that really a model anyone would want to follow?

Victoria

Don Cunningham wrote:

> So Mike, are you advocating caning?
>
> djc
>
> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Mike Cole wrote:
>

> > Thanks very much, Linda, for your tips on math web pages. For those on
> > xmca involved in matters education, I recommend taking a look at
> > the sites Linda noted. There is a very explicit link made between
> > the supposed errors of activity-centered math instruction and whole
> > language approaches (debate or not debate, Ken!) that is pretty
> > amazing.
> >
> > I found the California standards materials interesting for a different
> > reason. The writers explicitly reject telling teachers how to achieve
> > the standards. And the standards are tough. A lot of us would struggle
> > with parts of the 6th grade curriculum, I am pretty sure (me first!).
> >
> > The positive model for the tough minded: Why Singapore of course. Now
> > there's a model society that can be a real pain in the behind if you
> > don't get behind it! :-)
> >

> > mike
> >

> __________________
> Donald J. Cunningham
> Center for Applied Semiotics
> Indiana University
> Bloomington, IN 47405
>
> PH: 812-856-5377
> Fax: 812-856-8440
>
> Personal:
> PH: 812-856-8316
> Email: cunningh who-is-at indiana.edu
> WWW: http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~cunningh/
>
> Center:
> Email: sign who-is-at indiana.edu
> WWW: http://www.indiana.edu/~sign/

--------------888BB5BC368DC890346AED5C

begin:vcard
n:;
tel;fax:International (+612) 9351 2606
tel;work:International (+612) 9351 6326
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:School of Educational Psychology, Literacies, and Learning;Faculty of Education (A35)
version:2.1
email;internet:v.yew who-is-at edfac.usyd.edu.au, mlyew@mail.usyd.edu.au
title:Ph.D. (Education) Candidate
adr;quoted-printable:;;The University of Sydney=0D=0A;Sydney;NSW;2006;Australia
fn:Victoria M. L. Yew
end:vcard

--------------888BB5BC368DC890346AED5C--