Re: Double stimulation

Dr. PedroR. Portes (prport01 who-is-at athena.louisville.edu)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 18:01:23 -0400

Bill, et al
Pardon my delay,
the evidence supporting the DS delay can be found mostly in Social
Learning Theory (Bandura etc) which on the surface makes 'common sense"
given that in that case the learner is basically reproducing or performing
some variation on what was observed earlier in regard to some model's
action....
ie., the learner observes the action of the model in some context full of
stimuli and the consequence. ... and when that stimulus (complex) comes
along, the learner may take action in a way that can be credited to the
prior social modeled experience (Learning has taken place..)

With DS the potentiating by the other agent is not necessarily based on
imitating some action or way of looking at a problem etc...
In fact the learner may advance her own development without modeling at
all, perhaps converting only some of the stimuli present into means (in
ways which may or may not coincide with the "other's action", intended as
with teaching or not

As far as i know, research on the delay or lag in non-existent in CHAT, and
reasons for it even less.
(Why? perhaps It's too experimental and LSV has been interpreted mostly a
la qualitative to the exclusion of quant. methods... which seems
unfortunate since my hunch is that he would have argued for both to be
employed in C-H research for synthesis, reliability etc.)

In part that is why I tried to estimated it in that limited experiment cited.

Why the uptake takes place is a hell of a question. i would venture it
requires the individual's will/agency/conation 1st, which has its own
social formation, and some external, situational demand

like Einstein's uptake sitting on a moving train ...

persistence and incubation time seem nearly impossible to predict yet
uptakes (dev.) occur constantly

Also,
The need for a model or more advanced peer to lend regulation is only part
of the the zpd story, given that one can learn from = or less advanced
peers, and even without any peers at all (at a concrete level). Yet the
role of the "other" in the abstract sense seems to be always there
dialogically.
(Arias has written a bit on this but it is in Spanish)

anyway, that's my 2 cents,
pedro

At 10:48 PM 7/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>At 1:08 PM -0400 7/27/99, Dr. Pedro R. Portes wrote:
>>My understanding of this topic takes me in a different direction...
>>
>>be relevant. First, how could this very fertile paradigm be advanced (given
>>it seems abandoned in spite that it is =/> relevant than the operant
>>paradigm etc) and employed to study concept formation and dev, and,
>
>Pedro,
>I'm interested in a somewhat different direction as well. In particular,
the comparison of DS to other approaches, and the relative merits and
difficulties. You describe the possiblity of latency in learning outcomes.
Is there evidence supporting the delay? Are there any ideas why it might
exist?

>Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
>Technology in Education
>Lesley College, 31 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
>Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
>http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
>_______________________
>"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
> and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
>[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]

Pedro R. Portes,
Professor of Educational %
Counseling Psychology
310 School of Education