Re: individuals

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:16:25 -0500

Yet, isn't it still an individual based approach if it is the student,
teacher, or school. Abstracting the student, teacher, or school from the
larger context. Treating them as objects, consumers, or rational
businesses who will act rationally with the right behavioral punishments or
economic incentives. And this all can be accomplished with the same
technology of standardized tests. We can use it to determine which
students will be promoted, which teachers contract will be renewed, or
which schools will receive federal or state funding. Isn't it wonderful
that we have "progressed" to such a state where we can solve so many
problems with one simple piece of technology. I feel so silly for thinking
education was a little more complicated.

On a large scale I don't think we can or will move beyond these
individualistic approaches, but certain schools-classrooms do and can
create environments that are more collective. For example, Holzman's
reference to the Barbara Taylor school points toward a more collective
approach to education where "learning" is seen in a more collective than
individualistic way. In *Dreamkeepers*, Gloria Landsing Billings looks at
both traditional (teacher centered ?) and whole language culturally
relevant teachers and one of the things they have in common is avoiding
individualistic approaches to learning. A "community of practice" was used
to describe both educational approaches that are guided by culturally
relevant practices. Delpit in her research in Papua New Guinea and Alsaka
pointed toward a more pluralistic as opposed to homogenous approach to
educational success. One in which the schools relationship to the
community in a big factor in its success. As Billings remarks if Bennett
can have his narrative of a successful school, so could she, a school in
which a space was available with information for parents and the community,
a place where students could have access to minimal healthcare, child care,
and other related services. Certainly, a different version of school that
emerged through the 20th century. A "boundary object" in more than just a
political way, but a sociocultural way.

But, I suppose that would become too much of a threat, the powers that be
are served better if we are all competing with each other (students,
teachers, and schools).

Nate