Re: School Atmosphere Query

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:54:16 -0500

Mike,

Gloria Landsing Billings has a new book out that looks at similar issues
but argues it is "culturally relevant pedogogy" that makes the difference.
Her argument reminds me of Tharp and Gallimore to a certain extent which
would seem to put a lot of emphasis on the last point.

*Race, Class, and Power in School Restructuring*
(Suny Series, Restructuring and School Change)
by Pauline Lipman, Gloria Ladson-Billings (1998)

"This book challenges common assumptions about the efficacy of teacher
collaboration, empowerment, and professional development to improve the
educational experiences of low-achieving African American students without
engaging the political and ideological contexts in which reforms take
place. Written in a clear, engaging style, the book tells the story of two
restructuring junior high schools in a single district, and how teachers'
ideologies and race, class, and power contradictions in the schools, school
district, and city shaped outcomes. Although the book is a critique of
restructuring, powerful portraits of teachers who create culturally
responsive and empowering educational experiences demonstrate the potential
to reform educational practices and policies for African American students
and suggest a direction for transforming schools."

While different points are emphasized Billings generally sees "culturally
relevant teachers" as the major force which makes a difference. From
*Dream Keepers* this would be defined against assimilation as follows,

page 25

"Teachers who practice culturally relevant methods can be identified by the
way they see themselves and others. They see teaching as an art rather
than a technical skill. They believe that all their students can succeed
rather than failure is inevitable for some. They see themselves as a part
of the community and see themselves giving back to the community"

..."They believe that knowledge is continously recreated, recycled, and
shared by teachers and students alike. They view the content of the
curriculum critically and are passionate about it. Rather than expecting
students to demonstrate prior knowledge and skills they help students
develop that knowledge by building bridges and scaffolding for learning".

My understanding is while she points to macro forces as in contradictions
between race/class and middleclass culture, she sees the resolution in the
teachers who take a culturally relevant approach. She studies schools
which carry out similar types of reforms but in one school the
teachers/school has beliefs that are "culturally relevant" and in the other
school they are not. I would suspect while both see teachers behavior as
essential, Billings sees it in a much more complicated way as involving our
beliefs about race, class, and power. Student conditions would not be
solely for the students but also the family and community. School not
severed from community/culture, more as a "boundary where different
communities meet" as in Vann's quote of Marx.

I guess when I read that section the thought that popped into my head was
what kind of successful schools do we want? There can be good and bad
successful schools, bad schools that are sucessful in reproducing the
dominant culture, and better ones which I see sociocultural approaches
attempting to emphasize. I think Rutter's list is a starting point, but is
pretty assimilationist. I know its a conservative genre, but Delpit,
Billings, Tharp & Gallimore and others seem to have something important to
say that should not be neglected.

Nate