Re: reading and recycling

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:41:30 -0500

Thanks Eva,

I think historical/methodological analysis has its place and as Veresov
argues "consciousness" meant different things to Vygotsky at different
periods. I guess my larger point as in the (1979) reference was it can be
broadened within the same historical/methodological period in contrast to
say one period vs. another. *Educational Psychology* was published in the
same period as the (1979) quote and offers a view that may put him to the
left of Dewey (child centered).

Looking through the archives, I found an article, that I think Dewey
posted, in which Vygotsky was seen very complementary to "radical
constructivism". *Educational Psychology* was used extensively in this
line of argument. I think its very important to have an holistic analysis,
but this type of analysis can occur both within and across periods. So,
one approach is to challenge a quote seen as promoting a transmission view
of learning with Vygotsky's writing in the post-Moscow period, but another,
as successful, approach is challenging it within the same period. The
derivative (1979) quote must not be seen out of context with *Educational
Psychology* and *Psychology of Art* (my current fascination) of the same
period.

It is interesting that quotes / abstractions from the same period
(pre-Moscow) give us both Vygotsky as radical constructivist and socially
"derivative". My personal opinion is this occurs because we un-dialecticize
a dialectician.

Nate