Re: pdf vs txt or html

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:43:15 -0500

I agree with Martin that pdf has its own set of problems. A few years ago,
as now probally, there was confusion of the "fair use" clause in reference
to the online world. In the process of playing it safe pdf was seen as the
closest to the practice of making copies, binders etc and giving them to
students. PDF like binders were seen more as an act of copying than
publishing. Although binders were sold at "copy" shops it was not seen as
publishing perse.

Putting up a document on the web in html or text would seem more close to
publishing than copying. While I think Martin is correct that in itself
pdf probally is not any less authentic than text, pdf at least at my
university has historically been equated more with copying than publishing.
While an author can give xcma permission to publish in journal form or on
its webpage, I don't suppose we can go about publishing without the
author's intent such as publishing *Cultural Psychology* on the web. I do
suppose we may be able to legitimize, because of being an educational
community, putting a "copy" of a chapter or two in pdf format without the
authors/owners permission.

I very rarely view pdf files on the web itself, but download them for
future viewing as I would do with a paper copy. PDF is not designed,
expecially larger documents, to be an alternative to .html but rather to a
paper "copy". While it is definately used for publishing just like html,
in the university setting as in electronic reserves (as apposed to paper
reserves) it has become to be seen as copying rather than publishing.

Copying vs publishing seems to be an issue worth considering if we aim to
make Leontiev's work available to the collective. With pdf it would seem
legally one is safely in the domain of copying, but I am not as confident
one is safely there in an html or text format.

Nate