Re: Mike's chapter/Metacognition

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:33:20 +0200

At 08.59 -0500 99-07-07, dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu wrote:
>Talking about what is in one's mind IS a cultural practice to be valued
>as reflection.

I was thinking of exchanging it for "what is ON one's mind"... but when I
look at this, somehow more everyday, phrase it does sound (in my ESL ear)
as if it covers a different range of situations...

>But being "right" (i.e., being in a position to report the
>"truth" about what or how one thinks), that's another matter entirely
>that comes out of a particular epistemological stance that I think is
>questionable.

I agree. It's not just the epistemology that's questionable, but also the
ontology of what kind of phenomenon "thinking" is supposed to be.

And it was this ontology/epistemology-divide I was wondering if Mike wasn't
missing a chance to nudge students across by using language implying "our
version" instead of the cognitivist version -- a passage like the one I was
quoting in my first posting could be strategically useful here, today. I
suspect.

cheers
Eva