RE: the calculus wars

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at udel.edu)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:53:26 -0700

Hi everybody--

Nate wrote,

>Teacher Centered: Internalization is the goal or prerequisite of the
>community or activity rather than the byproduct.
>
>Student Centered: Appropriation, identity formation, construction,
>ownership is the goal or prerequsite of the community or activity rather
>than the byproduct.

Together with Barbara Rogoff, we distinguish between teaching method (i.e.,
how guidance is organized) and educational philosophy (i.e., what involves
in learning and guidance). We defined three main types of educational
philosophies (there are more than three ed. philosophies and their
combinations but these three are prevail in US schooling):

Adult-run -- or transmission of knowledge;
Children-run -- or discovery learning where adults follows kids' interests
and provides enriched learning environment;
Collaborative -- based on sharing inquires, interests, and ownership for
learning and guidance where kids learn how to learn and adults guide them
how to do that.

We argue for relative independence of teaching method and educational
philosophy. For example, lecturing as a teaching method can be done within
the three ed. philosophies. For the adult-run approach, lecturing is
transmission of knowledge. For the children-run approach, lecturing is
verbal "hand-on" environment. For the collaborative approach, a long
dialogic turn. Teaching methods by themselves do not reveal ed.
philosophies that are behind them.

Although teaching methods relatively independent form ed. philosophies, ed.
philosophies gravitate to some specific methods. For example, the adult-run
approach prefers lecturing and dittos because it is much easier to control
students for transmitting knowledge in these guidance formats than in
groupwork.

What do you think?

Eugene