Re: bears repeating

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 06:03:42 -0800

At 16:52 6/5/99, Mike Cole wrote:
>it is like the problem of believing (reputedly a la Democritus) that
>while all is flux, all the flux is moving in the same direction at the
>same speed. If it were there would be neither motion, nor time. The
>heterochrony across domains is essential to the nature of our (at least my!)
>experience/life.
>mike

you know i gave some bears some licorice once, and that's what happens. all
night long. bears repeating. (oh, tsk) but actually, you reminded me of
Aristolte and the idea of bodies at rest as still being in a kind of
motion

it may be tres gauche to go back to Aristotle on this, but he claimed all
organisms need to be in motion to exist, from a microcellular to large
motor;
his concept of rest is - i think - that because all bodies in motion -
whether celestial or grounded organic - are not
visibly in motion, how can they be moving?
and Aristotle claimed rest is motion when it is in its own state of
existence or being, so even if something seems still it is moving because
it has beingness or existence which is part of respecting the organism,
because it's us -
anyhow.

the notion that each of these beings has its own revolutions of existence
means there are fluxes of energy all over the place - and this indeed
effects people, and cars and watches and cell phones and all of that - so
we are all basically orbiting around each other without reaizing how we
effect each other and even that, as a simple acknowledgemt, is pretty vast
because
in order to even be aware of that requires a belief that there is such an
internally-organized space within as is called 'being;- and then to believe
in the concept of "rest" is strange but it made sense to me, and i've found
i can reduce the amount of info i am getting simply by connecting my
understanding of rest as infinitesimal movement but essential just the
same.

some even say it's alternative consciousness, which James believed also -

literally i reckon you need to be a bit of a flake, but i can hang with
rocks and think of their molecular density and so how much flux is in the
rock and so on, it's a way of living with the world in a kind of shared
movement/rest thing.

it's the same as saying "difference" only exists as different from who? but
its a start.

i am sorry to hear about Ann Brown -
diane

""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
faculty of graduate studies,
centre for the study of curriculum and instruction,
vancouver, british columbia, canada

email: dchodges who-is-at interchnage.ubc.ca