time/space/history/everything but the bidet

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:09:59 -0800

judy! you can see the trolls!! this _is_ totally trolls and troglydytes and
dancing with monsters and
flirting with freaks, a glimpse of lunacy wot? luscious stuff this, all
that skips and morphs in drag and manic codes and panicked notes that
strain...:
- ah sweet jeezuss nevah let it end...! :)

At 23:52 6/3/99, Jay Lemke wrote:

>Ideas are creatures of "kinds", thin grids on the continua of degree that
>are our bodies' natural languages for making us be ... there is more
>identity in our degrees than ever possibly in our kinds ...
>
>... so maybe we should not be so quick to look down our noses at Dr. Freud,
>who said all this quite clearly, in a no longer fashionable language.

i will need "time" to digest all of what you have provided, Jay, but i can
say i am enough of a luna/lupe to grasp the gist of your thoughts;

i have indeed recognized Freud as a compassionate and necessary perspective
of this complex "process" of being - (and i much appreciated your
references to being /being with others/as/ and Being in the world/with
others).

Witt the kid did in fact say language pre-exists its speaking, that we are
trapped in language when we are speaking it

(although it may be my Beginner's Guide is insufficient for substantiating
this claim, like referring to Where's Waldo to understand alienation,
perhaps)

but it does seem he is
suggesting that "thought" is what takes place when we can turn from
speaking language (which is really language speaking us) and listen to what
languages, or words do; the same way i might listen to John Coltrane's
"Blue Train" over and over, because it is the sound of that struggle to
speak without
being spoken.

here, in a different but similar way, Althusser the strangler is more
interesting than Althusser the intellectual, where the hands speak
murderously in a performance that Louis himself explains as substantiating
his theory of interpellation. (whew - that one still produces an
involuntary shudder)

the "crisis" seems to recur in language - interpellation being another way
of saying how language is already speaking in its tongue and how we are
effected - damaged - by the process; Judith Butler's latest ("the psychic
life of power") produces a pretty nifty disciplining of Louis and
interpellation.

phew. many streams to ponder here.
submerging for contemplation, glub glub ...
diane

""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
faculty of graduate studies,
centre for the study of curriculum and instruction,
vancouver, british columbia, canada

email: dchodges who-is-at interchnage.ubc.ca