Re: the calculus wars

Timothy Koschmann (tkoschmann who-is-at acm.org)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:51:50 -0500

Nate wrote:
> I took a math math class awhile back that was very similar to the PBL
> approach. I interpreted the Dean's style as playing mind games. My
> experience in the School of Education is most students get very resentful
> at such a pedagogical style. It IMHO is based on an outdated form of
> constructivism in which the teacher is simply unfolding cognitive
> structures inside the head. If we see our students as "humans"
> it seems to me it would go against either extreme. In this sense I
> would go so far to argue such an approach is very inauthentic.
>
> For example; if we are in a conversation on xcma, for example, and someone
> has an inquiry we do not sit back and wonder how to set the question asker
> on some sort of problem solving trajectory. In everyday conversation we
> don't think that way. If I ask someone who has read a mutual book a
> question, I would become upset if their response was withheld because they
> did not want to get in the way of my learning. For me, I see both extreme
> forms of constructivism and teacher directed teaching as forms of control.
> In teacher directed classrooms knowledge is only in the teachers head,and
> in constructivism its still in the teachers head but is approached as a
> mind game of the teacher guessing what is inside the head. Everyday
> conversations normally does not go to either extreme.

But, Nate, whoever said that teaching is a form of everyday conversation?
The situation calls for some set of special interaction and the question is
what role should the teacher play within this interaction? Why would it be
more authentic to tell the students what they need to know?

> In a more Foucaultian framework such approaches of the "students need to
> learn" is seen as the use of power through decenterism. My problem
> with PBL is not so much the practice in itself, but the ideology and
> assumptions about learning behind such an approach. It is actually
> ideologically very congruent with Socrates. A belief that education
> is simply an unfolding of universal, innate cognitive abilities. Such
> an approach it seems would also convey a teacher as observer rather than a
> participant in learning.

It's not the same epistemology at all---knowledge is not treated as
resident within the learner, but rather as something created within the
joint effort of understanding the problem at hand. Everyone (including the
faculty member) participates in this process, and all are learning all the
time. To construe the faculty member's role as merely observational,
therefore, would be very misleading.

> For me an good educational context is one where its difficult to
> distinguish what part of the activity is teacher centered or student
> centered.

This statement is confusing to me. Did you mean by this, which part of the
activity is organized by the teacher and which part by the student? Maybe
this terminology of "teacher-centered" vs. "student-centered" is simply
getting in the way here. I was using the term to mean a method of teaching
in which the student is responsible for deciding what needs to be learned.
This is, for me at least, a critical feature of what we have been talking
about. If the situation you describe in your math class was like PBL in
this respect, I guess I fail to understand how the students would respond
to it as a form of "mind game". It's only when the policy is implemented
as a facade in which the faculty member has already decided in advance what
will be learned and sits back and waits for the students to finally "get
it" that a sense of being manipulated begins to arise.

If I am slow to follow up on this discussion, please don't take it as
reflecting a lack of interest. I'll be away from the office for a while
and I have disconnected from the XMCA list. I'll try to pick this up again
when I get back. (If you want to catch my attention in the interim, copy
your responses to me directly). ---Tim