Re: hugging lives!

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:46:19 -0500

Bonnie,

Why I understand the concern with generalizations -hugging, pats on the
head, and other practices are becoming suspect more and more. At the center
my children used to attend they had two male teachers and on average they
were shadowed about 4 times a year by city certification because of
complaints they hugged a child or were holding their hand. NAEYC has put
out several articles on this very issue. I have seen this also occur in
schools in regards to sexual orientation in which a simple hug has become
suspect. As a method of worker protection some districts/unions have it in
their policy of banning hugging and other forms of affection. I know when
I did my student teaching their was a page of guidelines in relation to
this very issue, such as leave your classroom door open etc.

In our SOE there was a student organization that argued for a "touch free
curriculum" which was motivated by concerns of physical abuse, sexual
abuse, and sexual harassment. I suspect a side affect of the recent
Supreme Court ruleing, which I see as a step in the direction of making
schools safer places, is no touching rules will begin to be applied to
students as a way for districts to protect themselves from law suits.

Nate