RE: the calculus wars and students' real lives

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sun, 30 May 1999 16:45:54 -0400

Hi everybody--

Gordon wrote,
>The problem, in my
>view, is not so much the teachers' lack of vision as the constraints
>imposed on them by the wider social context, in which the dominant values
>are efficiency, productivity and profit and in which many of the reforms
>prescribed for public education are based on a totally inappropriate
>application of the business principles of late 20th century capitalism.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I think that the main struggle is not
about vision or even what is appropriate but using Diane's famous question
what is schooling for. In my view, mainstream schooling is mainly the
pipeline for the late 20th century capitalist economy. Everyone who write
"big" educational research grants knows well what I'm talking about. This
(power) discourse often overrules all other discourses about purposes of
schooling.

What do you think?

Eugene