Re: teacher ed critique

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sat, 29 May 1999 15:13:20 -0500

Eugene and others,

In reading both I sensed on one level your students had many of the same
frustrations prior to your class that the article discusses. I know until
recently in our SOE constructivism was seen in an holier than though way
which was above critique. The way of thinking it embraced was not
challenged in any way. One student I know said, that we were never
allowed to be critical of DAP or constructivism. Any way of thinking,
which is now Vygotsky, should never be above critique.

In general I think SOE in particular are very conservative organizations.
More Vygotskian, comparative type research did not start being brought into
the SOE until a few years ago. Critical thought is not necessarily valued
because what you are often learning, reading etc. is the professors
ideological preference and very often their books. When a paradigm shift
like constructivism initially occurs a university invests capital in that
particular ideology and that makes critique and other ideas coming in less
likely. So, rather than SOE being seen as liberal, I would argue they are
pretty conservative and resistant to change, for better or worse.

What caught my attention and pissed me off was the assertion of the "stupid
teachers". I would like feedback because those that get into our SOE even
with its emphasis on getting those into education who haven't received the
highest grade has the highest per student GPA out of any school or
department in the whole University. Newsgroups and articles point to the
low standards of teacher education, but from my experience their the ones
with the highest GPA.

Nate