Re: Dolly the Sheep is Dying

Ethel Tobach (tobach who-is-at amnh.org)
Sat, 29 May 1999 11:46:10 -0400

For me the lesson to be learned about the cells in Dolly's body is that it
is a good example of ignorance of dialectical materialism: the geneticists
do not try to look for and understand the fundamental contradictions of
change (growth and development), treating the "gene" and the cell as though
they are unconnected, independent and not related to the organism and the
world in which the organism lives. The need for Vygotsky and xmca
(activity theory people) to become literate in molecular genetics and the
relation to behavioral development is great if we are to be able to guard
against the misuse of genetics in educational and other societal policies.
Ethel