Re: Problem Based Learning

Martin Ryder (mryder who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Thu, 27 May 1999 19:16:57 -0600 (MDT)

Tim and others,

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Timothy Koschmann wrote:

> As Lee Shulman reported last month
> at AERA, Dewey was an outspoken opponent of apprenticeship learning, a
> position that might be surprising to present-day educational researchers
> given the interest in forms of Legitimate Peripheral Participation and our
> view of Dewey as the 'learning-by-doing' guy.

I would be interested in knowing the context of Dewey's opposition. There
is too much that is left unsaid here. Did Dewey indeed distrust the idea
of learning by successive levels of participation from peripheral to
central involvement, or might his opposition have been directed against
the practice by some less-than-democratic craft unions of the time who
tended to use apprenticeship as a means of discrimination and
organizational control?

Does anyone know if Lee Shulman's AERA paper is accessible online?

Martin R.