Re: Public and parochial Schools

Tane Akamatsu (tanea who-is-at ibm.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 06:37:23 -0400

Maria, Ken, et al.,

Your description of the RC schools as "public schools" in the sense of government
funded schools is correct. This tradition comes from the historical link between
the French and English languages/cultures, upon which the constitution, indeed
confederation, is based. Waaaaay back when, when Canada was new (as a
European-descendant nation), they had to figure out how to treat the Catholic
French-speaking and the Protestant English-speaking children fairly. Once solution
was to set up the publicly funded schooling along exactly those lines. Nowadays, of
course, the education system is divided strictly along "religious" lines, not
language lines. Pretty much. Sort of. As in Catholic vs. non-Catholic. So, it's
just a vestige of the old English/French divide.

We do have yet another French School Board, which I believe is also publicly funded,
but eligibility to attend these schools is strictly defined (I'm not exactly sure
what the definition is, but something along the lines that your parents had to have
been educated in French, not French-immersion but French; maybe someone could help
me on this one).
As Ken pointed out, Quebec is (always) a different story, and they recently switched
from having schools segregated along religious lines to having them segregated along
language lines. Interestingly, the rule in Quebec is that if your parents were
educated in English *in Quebec*, then you are allowed to go to the English system.
If not, then you must attend the French system. I have an American-born-and-raised
friend who moved to Montreal. Her children are now in a private English-based
school. They were NOT eligible to attend the English-public system because the
parents were educated in English in the US, not Quebec. And on it goes.

Hope this helps.

Tane Akamatsu