Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Matvey Sokolovsky (sokolovs who-is-at uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Fri, 21 May 1999 17:48:04 -0400

Quotes from 5/19/1999 Nate's message:

"If instead we see education or even socialization as a "boundary
object" or maybe a farmers market=85" This is not an exact quote because it
is cut right in the middle) but I do like the words "FARMERS MARKET" in it.
As many psychologists who like interpretations and psychoanalysis, I will
allow myself to argue that a word sometimes discloses more than a whole
paragraph.

"It also implies education as a process that only affects one particular
and not others, and my experience is socialization is much more dynamic
than that."

"Should society fund "particular" projects in education such as choice?
If we see education as an enlightenment project whose primary goal is self
actualization then ideas such as consumer choice have a sense of logic. If
on the other hand, we see education as a stage in which different
particulars perform it is very destructive."

Let's try to understand the worldview Nate is referring to. On one hand,
there is a bunch of illiterate, conservative farmers, like those in Silicon
Valley who grow Apples and use every opportunity to suck their children
into their business denying them an enlightening potential of education. On
the other hand there is the Universal -- represented by US government. It
is so universal that it brings enlightenment to Iraqi children by starving
them to death; enlightens Yugoslavia by bombing them, enlightens developing
countries by pressing them to cut expenses on education and enlightens
American schools by installing metal detectors and putting heavily armed
guards in every classroom. Recently the universal has invented the Internet
but plans to put it under strict control to be used only for good (multi
million dollar instructions how to use cigars) and business.

There is quite a "dialectics" between these hands. And I suspect that even
Nate is one among those conservative farmers. Actually, the word "even" was
extra, because, as I pointed out in my previous posting, I strongly believe
that the universal -- mainstream education is based on brainwashing(out)
needed for kids to turn them into consumers; consequently, is supported by
we know whom. So what is this discussion about then?

Philosophically, I think Nate makes a mistake by reducing a triad to a
dyad. As far as I remember from my readings of Hegel, he was talking about
a triad -- the universal, the particular, and the unique (I don't know the
exact term that is used in English). So to make the dialectics work one
more element is to be added (and supported). I personally would never
(never say never) argue against the need of universal which I envision as a
policy issue and constructive support from the state to all schools that
exist in a country (setting up universal bottom line requirements is a form
of it). Every school, including public schools, is a particular realization
of the universal and systemically represents it. In a drop of water one may
see the whole world. But unless there is sufficient uniqueness of some of
the elements of the system, things are boring, homogenous, gray, and in an
urgent need of metal detectors. Only the unique makes dialectics work,
according to Hegel's philosophy, Moscovici's social psychology, my common
sense, Bill Clinton' political declarations. Whatever paradise you have
imagined, Nate, or think that you see ("best ever teachers in the world"),
it will never work until vouchers are there.

Politically, I believe, Nate's mistake is in accepting hierarchical
semantics of the universal-the unique. No doubt that Hegel saw it
hierarchically also, but this was a mistake that prevented Hegel from
becoming the God. Though I am clearly not mature enough (with all my joking
around) to address educational issues, I would never agree that even Eugene
Matusov knows better than me how to educate my kids. Even less Bill Clinton
in his spare time between having sex and bombing someone. I would trust Al
Gore a little but he should be too busy inventing something new and=
important.

Pragmatically=85 The system is so big that it is hardly manageable. Students
feel so abandoned that they have to orchestrate shooting to attract
attention (a bad joke but with some truth, I believe). I know that parents
are able to do a lot through their involvement in boards of education, etc.
I personally prefer to be more involved directly with my kids. I don't
really feel I need an extra system that will pull me out of my home monthly
(weekly, daily). I am a therapist, and in my work I don't try to make
everyone happy, only to help those who want to achieve this.

If you want to make everyone happy, intensify bombardments of Yugoslavia.
Nuclear weapons work the best. This is my position, Nate.

P.S. My apologies if my style has offended someone. No intentions of that
kind. Honestly.

Matvey Sokolovsky