RE: Campaign Against Public Schools

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Tue, 18 May 1999 19:59:44 -0400

Hi everybody--

I agree with Ricardo that there is no obvious connection between literacy
and critical thinking (or any high level thinking skills). Actually Cole
and Scribner's famous research in Africa suggests that such connection is
absent.

There is also some evidence that it is much more difficult to control,
manipulate, and manage illiterate than literate people by totalitarian
regimes.

What do you think?

Eugene