Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

George McKinlay (mckinlay who-is-at unr.edu)
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:13:56 -0700

Eugene Matusov wrote:

snip

> In other words, rather than blaming for and
> preventing people from escaping from sinking Titanic of "public"
education
> let's help to escape as many people as possible by diverse means
(including
> vouchers, charter schools, and so on).
>
> What do you think?

Those that escape will and are the privileged. To think for a second that
market choice is "free" is to ignore price as a gatekeeper in market
economies.
The poor will be able to afford poor schools, but in the honeymoon period of
the privatization of education the bait is vouchers, scholarships and other
stop-gap processes.

Predatory corporations already smell the loot. How long will it before we get
the equivalent of education HMOs like Columbia Health Care? Imagine, Education

Management Organizations (EDOs) that instead of providing education "coverage"

confine us to ever narrower lists of "providers" or deny access because their
battery of bean counters find the child wanting in skill X and so course Y is
not an economically justifiable...

Business exists for profit, it has no place in education. When I think about
it, does business have a place at all...