Re: depth and breadth: The Calculus

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:04:18 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Goodman <kgoodman who-is-at u.arizona.edu>
To: <xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 1999 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: depth and breadth: The Calculus

"It is true that such requirements are being used to discriminate
against minority students whose high school lack the resources to offer
calculus. But I would certainly place the availability of calculus high
on my list of what constitutes an effective urban high school
curriculum"

Ken,

I very much agree with you, I only wanted to point out that many
universities use things like calculus to sort. In our district its not so
much an issue of high schools lacking resources, but early on tracking
students to basic skills or advanced math which is later used to deny
access to college. Requirements for advanced math in some quarters is an
attempt to close this tracking loophole that exists in too many high
schools. It of course becomes an equity arms race which ends up being
destructive to those its designed to help.

Nate
Nate