Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Diane HODGES (dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca)
Mon, 17 May 1999 18:34:43 -0800

At 6:50 5/18/99, nate wrote:
>Diane,
>
>These days of customization and decentralization frankly are beginning to
>scare me. Maybe its too many x-files, I don't know, but in this age of
>neo-liberalism I am very concerned where the path is leading. Many, me
>included, question the road of modernism, but I don't think the road of
>neo-liberalism is the path either. We are deconstructing, decentering the
>foundation modernism has been build upon which has the potential for
>something to emerge that could be very scary. As Phil reminded us the
>Third Reich started out as the Third Way in which so much of this
>neoliberalism is based upon.
>
>Nate

nate - thanks. i am not proposing decentralization as the desirable
option, so much as recognizing that what this thread has indicated is
that politically, little has changed that might
offer a mature conception of what education is for - because
decentralization as a governing structure is fragmenting into the corporate
structure,

independent education is more feasible: with the good, yes comes the
bad: but i suppose i understand social responsibility to be part of
accepting how the social forces are twisting social conscience, and

begin the smaller-scaled work of building the alternatives.

just as there are those willing to find the Gunz Iz All Th' Larning' Ya Needz
Academy;
there are others who would fund more open-education concepts of
knowledge, ethics, and responsibility. we cannot control everyone
nor can everyone be controlled. this discussion has emphasized a
kind of

:o woe what can we do?:

tone, perhaps i have misunderstood; but o what realistically is to be done?
thanks nate
diane

""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""""""""
When she walks,
the revolution's coming.
In her hips, there's revolution.
When she talks, I hear revolution.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution.
(poem by Kathleen Hanna: Riot Grrl)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia
faculty of graduate studies,
centre for the study of curriculum and instruction,
vancouver, british columbia, canada