Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

Ken Goodman (kgoodman who-is-at u.arizona.edu)
Sat, 15 May 1999 16:29:24 -0700

Sparks? This message is an example where contempt for teachers
overwhelms reason. Schools and teachers are simply baby sitters?

Molly Freeman wrote:

> Eugene and responsa:
>
> I can lurk no longer. Consider the following and note the source:
>
> "Piaget was skeptical of schooling's development-enhancing properties. He argued
> that the asymmetrical power
> relations of teacher and student created an imbalance because the pressure to
> accommodate to teachers' views
> far outweighed the pressure for assimilation of instruction to the child's
> already existing schemas. The result
> was learning of a superficial kind that was unlikely to create fundamental
> cognitive change. He believed that
> fundamental change was more likely to occur in informal actions where the
> asymmetry of power relations was
> reduced, allowing for a more equal balance between assimilation and
> accommodation." p. 87, Michael Cole. 1996.
> Cultural Psychology.
>
> Commitment to increasing options for the poor and not-so-poor does not have to
> bind us to a "one system solution."
Show me an example in history where there has been any attempt to
provide education for the poor and not so poor without s well supported
system of public education.

> Is schooling as we have known it in these United States necessary for anything
> but watching children while their
> parents are at work? Isn't this the bottom line?
How low can you get in this totally unsupported attack on everything
that has been accomplished in 100 years of education in this country and
the world?

If we begin there, the field is
> open to all sorts of alternatives beyond
> the Fordist model that some of us seem so intent on preserving. The fervor for
> preserving the public system as it is
> now configured is very much akin to a "belief" system.Beginning by saying that public education is nothing results in this logic in saying that anything is better than nothing. Neither statement has any logi or basis.
>
> The public system has many teachers who have lost their own voice and who are
> very averse to taking risks.
And it has many teachers who have found their voices and are taking
great risks- with the right raising the ante all the time.

In this
> way the public school system is not so different from the military.
More blatant prejudice! Is Congress smuggling pet education projects
into the budget? THere is no resemblance between education and the
military.

Accordingly,
> these teachers (and sad to say the
> bargaining agencies) are now regressive. Substitute "imaginative," "risk
> taking," and "dedicated" for "entrepreneurial"
> and you might envision some interesting options to the one public school system,
> most current variations withstanding.

Critical theory suggest that we look for who would profit from proposals
for reform. Privatizing education will profit business interests in two
ways: They will make profits from private entrepreneurial schools and
they will pay less taxes to support education thereby producing more
docile and non-competitive unskilled workers.

Ken Goodman

--
Kenneth S. Goodman, Professor, Language, Reading & Culture
504 College of Education, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ

These are mean times- and in the mean time We need to Learn to Live Under Water