Re: Campaign Against Public Schools

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Fri, 14 May 1999 19:49:25 -0500

While I too agree that questioning what education is for is an important
start, I am not sure if it will offer any comforting answers, at least for
me. I lean towards Diane's reference of critical social consciousness
because it does not imply production as a binary of reproduction. So, much
in current educational discourse - community of learners, House's
transaction cost economics etc. places a heavy role on identity formation
and frames it as appossitional to social control. George Will (a right wing
culturalist) also argues for the importance of local, community approaches
but he sees it for what it is a tool for social control. I have found Nick
Rose very useful in looking through some of the neoliberal solutions to
education including Chubb & Moe as well as Lave and Wenger. Both use a
very similar discourse of community, identity construction, and access in
addressing educational reform.

While I am definitely concerned by the fact my children are getting sour
asses, I would frankly rather have sour asses than lost souls which are the
object of inspection in both the left and conservative approaches of
neoliberalism. I become as concerned with Lave and Wenger when they see
identity construction as a prerequisite to legitimate peripheral
participation as I do with Chubb and Moe's argument of capitalist
Darwinians. Frankly I don't see much difference in the approaches to
educational reform on the left or the right, they seem to be operating from
the same basic foundations.

I am reminded of Vygotsky's provoking quote in Educational Psychology on
page 343,

"Nowhere did the sickness of the Tsarist pedagogics exibit itself with such
clarity as in those instances when, in place of open warfare between
teacher and student, there sprang up friendly relationships. The
deification of the "favorite teacher" which assumed the form of adoration,
represents, in fact a genuine psychological problem that recalls that which
in psychoanalyst is referred to as transference".

In reference to Diane's reference of critical social consciousness it
implies, at least for me, that production is not outside of reproduction.
Production/reproduction being a dialectical unity of sorts and production
not being outside reproduction. Simply making reproduction more hidden by
making it "closer to the people" so they will be more apt to appropriate,
identity, or purchase the values of the dominant culture does not seem to
be a viable solution. Critical social consciousness would seem to imply
that reproduction is not outside of us, but inside of us and that in order
to be productive we must be critical. An interesting trend is rather than
teaching children to be critical of the media we are exploiting children's
sensitivity to it. A recent example is the anti-tobacco aids in which the
states are using the same approach at manipulation and identity
construction as the tobacco companies used. House argues along similar
lines in that schools need more pep rallies and community builders to fight
off the influence of the evil media. While Diane is probably right in
reference to critical social consciousness I have a hard time believing the
power that be would be willing to fund such a project.

Nate