Re: queries to individuals

Ellice A Forman (ellice+ who-is-at pitt.edu)
Tue, 4 May 1999 15:05:07 -0400 (EDT)

Judy,
Here's Stanton's email address:stanton who-is-at gse.upenn.edu.

What kind of material on math talk are you looking for? What do you mean
by exemplary work on discourse in mathematics classrooms?

I can suggest a recent special issue of Learning and Instruction,1998, 30
(6) (E. Forman & B. van oers, Guest Editors). The theme is mathematics
learning in sociocultural contexts and several articles deal with
discourse (especially one that I co-authored with several others and the
one by Inagaki, Hatano & Morita). Paul Cobb and his colleagues have
written quite a bit on discourse in math classrooms. One source is Cobb &
Bauersfeld (Eds)(1995) The emergence of mathematical meaning: Interaction
in classroom cultures. Erlbaum. Maggie Lampert has edited a book on Math
Talk that has just been published by Cambridge University Press. I could
go on, however, I won't since I would need more information about what you
would consider exemplary.

Ellice Forman
Dept of Psychology in Education
University of Pittsburgh