Re: request for Portuguese Refs

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:25:48 -0500

Joco Batista Martins,

I enjoyed the article very much. One comment that stood out for me was,

"Such perspectives in suggest one another way to them to
olharmos/avaliarmos the learning of the pupils. They, when entering in the
school, bring a series of concepts learned in its social relations. In the
school, they have contact with concepts that are not related with its
immediate experiences with the reality - they are more abstract, distant of
its daily one. This meeting - between daily concepts and scientific
concepts - creates a contradiction, contradiction that if surpasses in the
measure that the pupil exercises the concepts in guideline. To surpass such
situation, however, does not mean to abandon the scientific concept for the
daily one (and vice versa), for the the opposite, the pupil will surpass
such situation creating a new concept, concept this that if constructs from
a synthesis enters both the types of concepts."

I do not remember having scientific/everyday concepts being described so
explicitly as a contradiction of sorts, but I found it real useful in my
understanding of scientific/everyday concepts. I wasn't real sure of how
to interpret it because as students from Brasil in my classes mention
Marxist thought is more influential in Brasil than the U.S. How I
interpreted the synthesis was not the thesis (everyday concepts) and not
the anti-thesis (scientific concepts) but something new and different from
each. If my interpretation was your intention I think its a very
interesting way of looking at the zone of proximal development. Too often,
excluding the special xcma issue on this subject, scientific/everyday
concepts tend to be seen linearly as in everyday to scientific or
scientific replacing everyday and I found your reference to synthesis very
interesting.

I enjoyed it very much,

Nate