Re: query

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 11:57:00 -0500

Mary,

Tom Popkewitz book Struggleing for the Soul, while not explicitly focused
on "child development" does serve as a way to think about it. Its primary
focus is the urban/rural doublet, but does explore a variety of dicourses
including "development" that serve as a way to differentiate children.
"Foucault's Challenge Discourse, Knowledge, and Power in Education" also
has several chapters that would be on the line of "development". Both
point more towards a viewpoint of "development" being a social construction
of sorts which attempt to culturally produce what is seen as "normal".
While I maybe would not go so far as to argue the books are primarily
concerned with ethnocentrism, development as a form of ethnocentism was
definately a reading I took from both books.

Struggling for the Soul
Thomas Popkewitz
Teachers College Press
(1998) 0-8077-3728-3

Foucault's Challenge Discourse, Knowledge, and Power in Education
Thomas Popkewitz and Maria Brennan
Teacher's College Press
(1998) 0-8077-3676-7

Nate