Re: Krupskaya

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:32:11 -0500

A few comments on Peter's message.

As an early childhood educator, I can relate to much of Peter's comment. I
do question the word "dominate" somewhat and understood Peter as referring
to the word mainly in number not power. I am currently substituting and
upon an assignment in a sped classroom was told that the expectation was
that there would not be any problems because of me being male. Such a
comment was not gender neutral it put both me and women teachers in some
sort of space. As a male the expectation was I would have the ability to
control the classroom and a women would not. Some reform approaches like
Teach for America and allowing any one with a bachlorate to teach carries
many of those same assumption. An assumption that education is failing
because of its "domination" by women.

I personally think teachers in general should be more diversified (gender,
race etc.) but have a real difficult time with the space that puts me in as
a male and the space it puts women in. As a male it is assumed that I can
fill the void of lack of male role models that describe many of the
children that are in schools. As a male it puts me in a position of a
savior, in that, I can do what the women before me couldn't do. This of
course is not how I position myself in reference to being an early
childhood educator, but rather my awareness of the logic behind some of the
reform movements that are occurring in education.

It does bring up the line of questioning of how much of the legislature
mandating curriculum has to do with the "gender question". Our state did
not attempt anything as elaborate as California, it merely mandated phonics
courses in schools of education. It does seem that as the "gender
problem" enters public consciousness many of the decision that have been
historically made by academia are being moved to the legislature.

Just of few thought.

Nate