Re: Krupskaya

Peter Smagorinsky (smago who-is-at peachnet.campuscwix.net)
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 16:31:16 -0400

for what it's worth....

Historically men have written the definitive texts and occupied academic
positions. At least in some fields, men do not currently dominate. I work
in a Language Education department with 15 faculty, 11 of whom are women.
Almost all of our GAs are women as well. I also coedit the main research
journal from NCTE and I'd say that about 3/4 of the ms's we receive are
written by women (if anything, that's a low estimate). Prior to our
editorship, the journal was edited by a woman; prior to that, by a
woman/man team.

In terms of the future, I'd say that about 90% of the undergrads in our
courses are women (again, possibly a low estimate). So dominance by gender
might vary by field.