1999-03-25 Proclamation on Education and Sharing Day

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:21:02 +1000

Strange kinda langauge:

>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:31 -0500
>From: The White House <Publications-Admin who-is-at Pub.Pub.WhiteHouse.Gov>
>Subject: 1999-03-25 Proclamation on Education and Sharing Day
>To: Public-Distribution who-is-at Pub.Pub.WhiteHouse.Gov
http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/1999/3/25
/12.text.1
> [...]
>
> THE WHITE HOUSE
>
> Office of the Press Secretary
>For Immediate Release March 25, 1999
>

> EDUCATION AND SHARING DAY, U.S.A., 1999
>
> - - - - - - -
>
> BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
>
> A PROCLAMATION
>

> Our Nation was founded at a time of extraordinary change, as the
>world began to move from an agrarian to an industrial economy. Today,
>as we approach the 21st century, exciting innovations in science and
>technology are revolutionizing our society, and once again Americans
>must adapt to the demands of a new era. Beckoning us with exciting new
>challenges and far-reaching opportunities, our future depends as never
>before on our Nation's commitment to excellence in education.
>
> Americans have met the dynamic changes in our society not only
>through education but also by finding strength in our shared goals and
>values. And, as we prepare for the challenges of a new millennium,
>these time-honored principles must remain an important part of our
>children's education. Far more than the accumulation of facts and
>figures, a well-rounded education that will serve our children
>throughout their lives must also include the wisdom and insights of past
>generations. Family members, teachers, administrators, and neighbors
>should share their experiences and ideals with young people to help them
>develop into mature, confident, and responsible adults.
>
> An esteemed scholar and inspired religious leader, Rabbi Menachem
>Mendel Schneerson, the Lubavitcher Rebbe, devoted his life to empowering
>young people through education. His belief in the importance of
>intellectual and spiritual enlightenment led him to establish more than
>2,000 educational and social institutions around the world. Promoting
>faith, family, and community, his work enriched our society and helped
>to lay the foundation for our continued progress.
>
> On this day and throughout the year, let us rededicate ourselves to
>the ideals of education and sharing that were championed by Rabbi
>Schneerson and are embraced by compassionate leaders across our country.
>As our society continues to change and evolve, let us work with keen
>minds and warm hearts to forge a future of peace and prosperity for all
>our children.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United
>States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the
>Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 28,
>1999, as Education and Sharing Day, U.S.A. I invite Government
>officials, educators, volunteers, and all of the people of the United
>States to observe this day with appropriate activities, programs, and
>ceremonies.
>
> IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-fifth
>day of March, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety-nine,
>and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred

Phil Graham
p.graham who-is-at qut.edu.au
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html
"Another damned fat book, eh, Mr Gibbon? Scribble, scribble, scribble, eh,
Mr Gibbon?" - The Duke of Gloucester to Edward Gibbon upon the publication
of "Decline and Fall".