Re: phonics and context

Ilda Carreiro King (kingil who-is-at bc.edu)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:29:23 -0500

Hi Mike,
Not being in California, i don't know. Being a consultant in so many
school systems in Eastern Massachusetts and having visited many in Rhode
Island and New hampshire I would tell you that not two teachers teach
alike anyway! I would also without any doubt say that I haven't seen
anyone teach just phonics as decoding / encoding in any regular education
classroom, only in some poorly taught special needs classrooms where
they have not been trained in any specialized reading training and
misinterpret phonics programs like Orton Gillingham.

Ilda