Re: vygotsky and contextualism

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:12:31 +1000

A thought for the past=20

"You all remember," said the controller, in his strong deep voice, "you all
remember, I suppose, that beautiful and inspired saying of Our Ford=92s:
History is bunk. History," he repeated slowly, "is bunk."=20

Another for the future

"And that," put in the Director sententiously, "that is the secret of
happiness and virtue =96liking what you've _got_ to do. All conditioning aim=
at that: making people like their unescapable social destiny."=20

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

Phil
wishing I could not believe Ken

At 23:26 19-03-99 -0700, Ken wrote:
>Just for the record there are people who are against context, California
>bill 1086 requires those who do staff development on reading with
>teachers to sign an oath saying they will not teachers to teach kids to
>use context in reading.
>The new language arts framework also says pupils must first learn to
>read words out of context.
>Ken Goodman
>--=20
>Kenneth S. Goodman, Professor, Language, Reading & Culture
>504 College of Education, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ =20
> fax 520 7456895 phone 520 6217868
>
>These are mean times- and in the mean time=20
>We need to Learn to Live Under Water

Phil Graham
p.graham who-is-at qut.edu.au
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html
"Another damned fat book, eh, Mr Gibbon? Scribble, scribble, scribble, eh,
Mr Gibbon?" - The Duke of Gloucester to Edward Gibbon upon the publication
of "Decline and Fall".=20