RE: contextualist(s)

Peter Smagorinsky (smago who-is-at peachnet.campuscwix.net)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 05:49:36 -0500

My understanding of Vygotsky would suggest a more cultural/historical
notion of context, rather than here-and-now. That is, a context is a
consequence of, to borrow some of Bakhtin's phrases, "the great historical
destinies of genres" (1981, p. 259) and the "primordial dialogism of
discourse" (p. 275).

Peter